New York State ELA and Mathematics Tests 2017
English Language Arts
Tuesday, March 28
Wednesday, March 29
Thursday, March 30
Make-up ELA Dates:
Friday, March 31 -
Wednesday, April 5
Tuesday, May 2
Wednesday, May 3
Thursday, May 4
Math Make-up Dates:
Friday, May 5 -
Thursday, May 11
Preparing for the Tests
The 4th Grade Saturday Academy is open to all 4th grade students who would like extra support to prepare for the upcoming English Language Arts (ELA) and Math Tests.
4th Grade Saturday Academy
9:00 am - 11:00 am
English Language Arts (ELA) Academy
Saturday, March 11
Saturday, March 18
Saturday, March 25
Saturday, April 22
Saturday, April 29
Shifts in the Common Core Standards: What are we expecting our students to do?
Math Support At Home
- Ensure that they are working on their homework, ask questions about their homework (Can you explain that? How do you know that?). This helps them to understand the why as well as the what around the answer.
- Make sure they are practicing their fluencies (the ‘think fast and solve problem’ shift)
- Engage your student is ‘real life’ math. (shopping, cooking, solving a mystery). This helps to take math out of isolation and provide connections.
- Help your student stay strong. When you see them struggle, encourage a break and then return with different ‘eyes’.
How can you help your child succeed?
- Help your child build stamina (reading and math facts)
- Be an active participant in the homework process
- Be in touch with your child’s teacher if you have any concerns
- Good night sleep
- If your child is ill, keep them home. It would be better for them to take the test on the make-up day versus taking the test while sick.
- Healthy breakfast
- Be sure that your child has his/her glasses or any other testing aids
- BE ON TIME FOR SCHOOL EVERYDAY! After 8:30 am, students are considered late